Here we go. U.S. Census figures show sharp increases in interracial couples, especially in the South. From a front page article in the New York Times:

In the first comprehensive accounting of multiracial Americans since statistics were first collected about them in 2000, reporting from the 2010 census, made public in recent days, shows that the nation’s mixed-race population is growing far more quickly than many demographers had estimated, particularly in the South and parts of the Midwest. That conclusion is based on the bureau’s analysis of 42 states; the data from the remaining eight states will be released this week.

New York Times, March 20, 2011

I am not surprised. Are you? More importantly, what do you think this means for interracial families?

7 thoughts to “Deep South And Interracial Couples

• Tinu

I think the NYT article title is a tad misleading. It’s important to note that the couples interviewed are in COLLEGE TOWNS which are not always representative of attitudes of an entire state (no matter which part of the country). I don’t think census numbers can measure “acceptance.” The fact is there are crazy folk all over the country who think it’s okay to burn crosses on the lawns of interracial families (two of the most recent being in Mississippi and Arkansas).

• Honeysmoke

“The fact is there are crazy folk all over the country who think it’s okay to burn crosses on the lawns of interracial families (two of the most recent being in Mississippi and Arkansas).”

I can’t argue with that statement.

I agree that college towns may be more accepting of interracial couples.

• Kandy

I totally agree with Tinu, there many be an increase of interracial families, but that doesn’t mean that they are accepted…

• Tiffany

I also wonder if there are simply more people who were identifying as “black” before who are now choosing to be more specific with itemizing their various racial components. I’m one of those people. I didn’t start checking off more than one box until I was at least 25.

• Cat

I agree with Tinu, though I think behind more dialogue will come greater acceptance. My family was completely against interracial relationships/marriage/families until I brought home my wonderful (then) boyfriend. His family was very tolerant and accepting in word, but when it came to their home they closed up and interracial marriage became a threat. One would hope that greater exposure to the real humanity instead of the idea would ease the fear. In my personal experience: exposure is a mixed bag (no pun intended).

• Gerald Sutliff

I married a African-American after being alone for 5 years was long enough for me. My family was generous and kind, even those who had often in the past had often expressed hostility towards A-Fs. After a year or so (2000) we traveled thru the South to visit my wife’s family. Only once did I come up against obvious open hostility (the “hate look”). Atlanta was open to us. Especially at nicer restaurants. My wife’s choosing a white spouse was fine with them.
    We were then and are seniors.
    Southern hospitality seemed to over come any out right rudeness; I was impressed favorably.
    Having attended a number of funerals it’s my take that Americans are mostly “blended” and all the better for it. A couple of times blacks told me that I looked “brown enough.” I took it as a complement.

• Keya

I’m not suprised. I think this is amazing. I do think that interracial relationships are becoming very popular & accepted among the younger generation.